On this page
Thank you for participating in our webinar – Reporting with HEPCAT. All of the key information that was presented and referred to throughout the webinar is available from this page.
Reporting with HEPCAT webinar provides essential information on the why, when and how to successfully report data to the department.
- the steps to successful reporting
- data requirements and where to find them on HEIMSHELP
- the importance of submitting quality data on time
- how to plan your reporting year and make it easier to meet reporting deadlines
- using the HEPCAT reporting tool to create course and student submissions
- using HEPCAT error reports
- understanding validation rules
- viewing HEIMS Online submission reports.
Questions and Answers
Answers to the questions raised during the webinar are now available on our Reporting with HEPCAT - webinar questions page.
To help you to achieve success with reporting quality data to the department in a timely manner our Reporting checklist will assist you.
- Reporting Schedule and Calendar – Lists all reporting deadlines
- (Print it out and keep it handy for easy planning and checking)
- Scope and structure documents – This is the WHAT and HOW information.
- The scope outlines what data needs to be included in each submission and the structure describes how to format or order that data.
- Data Elements – These are codes or variables (e.g. for gender, use codes "M" or "F").
System requirements and access
The system requirements guidelines outline the systems and infrastructure your organisation must have in place to meet the reporting requirements.
To report data to the department you will require access to the department's systems and secure IT environments. You can request access by completing the form attached below.
How to use HEPCAT
The data you need to report to the department is submitted through a special application called HEPCAT, which is short for Higher Education Provider Client Assistance Tool. HEPCAT enables you to prepare, validate and transfer your data to the department.
You can download HEPCAT and become familiar with its processes in a test environment at any time.
Our online training videos provide a visual description of the key skills you need to submit data. These videos are ideal if you are new to reporting or would like to refresh your basic reporting skills.
- HEPCAT Basics - provides the steps for creating a submission.
- HEPCAT Basics part 2 - importing and exporting a submission.
- HEPCAT Basics part 3 - validating a submission.
- HEPCAT Basics part 4 - submitting data in HEPCAT.
HEPCAT File naming conventions
The following documents outline the required naming format for files sent to the department through HEPCAT.
- HE Student File Naming Conventions PDF (146kB) OR HE Student File Naming Conventions DOCX (35kB)
- VET Student Data File Naming Conventions PDF (138kB) OR VET Student Data File Naming Conventions DOCX (34kB)
- HE Staff File Naming Conventions PDF (121kB) OR HE Staff File Naming Conventions DOCX (29kB)
- HE Applications and Offers File Naming Conventions PDF (120kB) OR HE Applications and Offers File Naming Conventions DOCX (30kB)
Training and webinars
Don't forget if you are need further assistance with verification you can contact us directly to request a customised webinar that is specifically tailored to address your particular needs. Individual and small group training sessions are also always available at any time throughout the year at our Canberra office.
Alternatively we have a range of training materials that may assist you they include:
- Reporting - Getting Started
- If you are brand new to reporting and are not too sure how to actually get started this webinar will assist you. It provides a range of information on reporting responsibilities and will help to prepare your organisation for reporting.
- Validating your data webinar
- This webinar will help you work through the validation processes in HEPCAT and HEIMS when reporting your data. It will assist with understanding the error messages and reports. It looks at the validation rules and provides strategies to help to minimise errors and gives you some time saving tips.
- Simplifying Verification
- Verifying your data is an essential step in meeting your reporting requirements. Simplifying Verification reviews the process of verifying your data, looks at common reporting issues and also provides you with tips and strategies to help you prepare.
HEIMS Online provides a central point for you to view the data you have reported to the Higher Education Information Management System (HEIMS). From here you can directly access:
- Submission error reports
- HEIMS Data View reports
- Formal verification reports
The HEIMS Online user guides are available in the Checking your data toolkit.
Correcting reporting errors
When verifying your data you may identify errors in your data that needs correcting. To help you our revision guides provide the steps required to revise higher education and VET data.
Keep up to date with what's happening in the data collection world by subscribing to our fabulous monthly newsletters. All our training sessions and webinars are also advertised in our eNews. Don't forget you don't need to be an approved provider to Opens in a new window: subscribe to eNews.
Need more help?
Please contact the HEIMS Data Collections team if you have any queries or require further information or assistance on any reporting issues.
Email: HEIMS.datacollections [at] education.gov.au
Telephone: (02) 6240 7487
Your feedback is always welcome!