From 1 January 2017 the new Opens in a new window: Research Training Program (RTP) will replace the existing Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA), International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) and the Research Training Scheme (RTS).
Under the new arrangements organisations can offer RTP Scholarships that provide one or more of the following forms of support:
- RTP Fees Offset to cover a student's liability to pay tuition fees;
- RTP Stipend to assist with a student's general living costs while undertaking a Higher degree by Research (HDR);
- RTP Allowance to assist a student with a range of ancillary costs of a HDR, including:
- for overseas students, a standard Overseas Student Health Cover policy approved by the Commonwealth Department of Health and which covers the student and their spouse and dependants;
- relocation costs to undertake a HDR; and
- HDR thesis printing and academic publication costs.
The changes will involve the addition of three new codes on existing elements to support the administration of the redesigned program. These changes will affect two elements:
RTP Fees Offsets
A student in receipt of an RTP Fees Offset must be assigned the Student Status code 331 (A domestic or overseas student receiving a Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset as defined in the Opens in a new window: Commonwealth Scholarships Guidelines (Research) 2017).
A student in receipt of an RTP Fees Offset can be assigned the following Scholarship Type codes:
- 08 - A student receiving a Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend
- 09 - A student receiving a Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset, but not receiving a RTP Stipend
A student in receipt of an RTP Stipend must be assigned the Scholarship Type code 08 (A student receiving a Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend).
A student in receipt of an RTP Stipend must be assigned one of the following Student Status codes that correctly identifies their status:
- 230 - Deferred all or part of Award or Enabling course tuition fee through FEE‑HELP
- 270 - Student in a non Commonwealth supported place with an Exemption scholarship (no tuition fee to be charged)
- 302 - Paid full Award or Enabling course tuition fee
- 310 - A fee‑paying overseas student who is not sponsored under a foreign aid program, and including students with these awards: SOPF (Special Overseas Postgraduate Fund); Australian‑European Awards Program; and the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
- 331 - A domestic or overseas student receiving a Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset as defined in the Opens in a new window: Commonwealth Scholarships Guidelines (Research) 2017
Organisations are not currently required to report on the details of RTP allowances.
|Scholarship received by the student||Coding for Student Status code (E490)||Coding for Scholarship type code (E487)|
|RTP Fees Offset only||331||09|
|RTP Fees Offset plus RTP Stipend||331||08|
|RTP Stipend only||230 or 270 or 302 or 310||08|