To update HEPCAT to the latest version, the existing version needs to be uninstalled from your PC and the latest version needs to be downloaded and installed.
Don't forget to back up your database before the new installation. If you need help with backing up your database please see Part three of the HEPCAT user guide.
Note: After backing up your HEPCAT database to your C drive, it is strongly recommended that you create a copy of the backup file to store on a secure, external location in conjunction with your institution's data maintenance policies.
Do not uninstall HEPCAT Prerequisites unless specifically advised by the department.
Are you having trouble installing the latest version of HEPCAT? Take a look at our Common Issues page to help resolve your problem.
- Open the Windows Control Panel and select "Programs and Features"
- Highlight HEPCAT and click Uninstall - Click Yes to confirm
- Click Yes if prompted by "User Access Control"
- HEPCAT will be uninstalled
- Open the Windows Control Panel and select "Internet Options" > "Browsing History" > Delete > check the boxes for Temporary Internet Files and Cookies > Delete.
- This will ensure Internet Explorer will download the correct version of HEPCAT. If you are using a different browser to download HEPCAT, please clear the Temporary Internet Files and Cookies using your browser settings.
- Go to the following URL and click Get HEPCAT Application.
Opens in a new window: http://app.heims.education.gov.au/Deployment.HEPCAT/application/
The HEPCAT Application webpage will be displayed
- Click the "Get HEPCAT Application" button - the File Download – Security Warning dialogue box will be displayed. Click on Save, choose a location on your C drive and click Save - the file will start to download.
- After the file is successfully downloaded, right click the HEPCAT v* x86.msi file and select Install start the Install Wizard.
- Leave the installation folder to the default of C:\Program Files (x86)\HEPCAT v*\Application\ and click Next
- Click Next on the Install Wizard and Click Yes if prompted by "User Access Control"
- Once installed, click Close on the Install Wizard
- Restart your workstation before launching HEPCAT
Before launching HEPCAT for the first time it must be opened as administrator to allow database updates.
- To launch HEPCAT as an administrator, locate HEIMS.Windows.HEPCAT.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\HEPCAT v[version number]\Application\
- Right click the .exe file and run as an administrator
- When you open HEPCAT as administrator the User Account Control asks you to allow HEPCAT to modify the hard drive, click Yes
- To run HEPCAT as an administrator locate the HEPCAT shortcut on the desktop or from the start menu
- Right click and select "properties"
- Select compatibility tab and click "run this program as an administrator" from the privilege level selections
- Click "Apply"
Updating HEPCAT Folders
You also need to update the following folders to allow users to create/modify files in these folders:
- C:\HEPCAT and;
- C:\Program Files (x86)\HEPCAT v[version number]\Application\.
To update these folders please do the following:
- Right click folder and select properties
- Select "Security" tab and click the "Edit" button
- Select "Users" from the Group or user names selections and check "Full control" from the Permissions for users selections
- Click "Apply"
- Repeat to other folder
HEPCAT Error Logs
- When you elect to run as administrator your error logs will go to C:\Program Files (x86)\HEPCAT v[version number]\Application\
- If you run as a user, error logs will go to C:\Users\[Your User ID]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\HEPCAT v[version number]\Application\