How to read this report
- For Full‑time and Fractional Full‑time only tables, apply the filter E506 = 1 and 2
- For Full‑time, Fractional Full‑time and Estimated Casual tables, apply the filter E506 = 1, 2, 3
- For Actual Casual tables, apply the filter E506 = 4
Primary staff record used only
A staff member's primary record is utilised in the Full‑time Equivalent report in order to select the first unique record. This rule is applied when there is more than one record for a staff member in the FT/FFT file and the first record for the Staff member is determined from the following sort rule order:
- E511 (Work sector code) sorted in ascending order
- E506 (Work contract code) sorted in ascending order
- E510 (Organisational unit code) between 1000 and 5999 then 1, else 0 sorted in descending order
- This means that you first assign a value of 0 or 1 to the E510 code depending on where it falls in the preceding range. In effect, this becomes an additional derived element on which to sort on. For example, if one record has an E510 value coded to "1DEF" and another for the same staff member has an E510 value of "5300", then these are both coded to "1" and you will have to go to the subsequent sort rules to determine the primary staff record.
- E513 (Full‑time equivalence - reference date) sorted in descending order
- E507 (Current duties term code) sorted in descending order
- E408 (Current duties classification type, level and increment code) sorted in ascending order
- E412 (Function code) sorted in ascending order
- E510 (Organisational unit code) sorted in ascending order
Note: Counts appearing in the Staff Numbers and Staff Full Time Equivalent reports, exclude records for staff working solely in the VET sector (E511 = 2) or where they are working in an independent operation (E510 = 6100, 6200 or 6900).
Definitions of what is counted in the three Staff Summary reports (Staff Numbers, Staff Full Time Equivalent and Actual Casual Staff) are shown in the following table:
|Gender||Gender is determined on the basis of the first value reported on E315 (Gender code). For example, if a staff member is first reported as Male and then in a subsequent submission is reported as Female, the original classification of Male is maintained. If the original value has been revised, the revised value is used.|
|Current Duties Term||Value reported on E507 identifies the term for a member of staff's current duties in number of months if the term is five years or less.|
|Work Contract||Value reported on E506 (Work contract code), TAFE work sector is excluded.|
|Classification||Value reported on E408 denoting the classification type and level group for a member of staff in respect of their current duties.|
|Organisational Unit||Value reported on E510 indicating the organisational unit in which the current duties of a member of staff are being performed.
Note: Organisational unit codes must be consistent with the academic organisational units reported in the Higher Education Student Collection.
Excluded is Independent operations coded as 6100‑6900, being; computing services, research, development, testing or consultancy services and other independent operations which are controlled entities.
|Function||Value reported on E412 identifying the function being performed by a member of staff in the one work sector and one organisational unit in respect of their current duties.|
|Indigenous Status||Value reported on E316 indicating whether the member of staff identifies themselves as being of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent.
Reported E316 status for a staff member has the following updating rules:
|Highest Qualification||Value reported on E501 indicating the highest qualification of a member of staff;
Code 0: Member of staff has a non‑academic classification
Codes 2‑7: Member of staff has an academic classification
Values reported for highest qualification must be consistent and that the highest qualification must be 0 where the current duties classification type, level and increment of the position is for a Higher Education Worker or a non‑academic classification level.
If there is more than one record matching a staff members person identification code for the same reporting year/period with the current duties classification type, level and increment of 001, 005, 013, 014, 042, 066 or 100 then each record must have the same highest qualification.