Go to top of page


Where a student is enrolled in a Master's by Research course and where the research they are undertaking is at such a standard that either the higher education provider recommends that the student upgrade their degree to a PhD or the student seeks to upgrade to a PhD and this is supported by the higher education provider. There would be no interval between the candidature of the Master's degree and PhD unless the interval was covered by a period of suspension.

With an upgrade, the research undertaken by the student while enrolled for the Master's by Research degree would either be continued in the PhD or modified to meet the requirements for a PhD program.

This glossary item applies to the collection types:
  • Higher Education Student Collection