On this page
What's new with TCSI?
12 Dec 18: The TCSI update - December 2018 is now available.
27 Nov 18: The 2020 higher education & VSL data framework v2.1 is now available from TCSI Supporting documents and replaces version 2.0 of the data framework.
Version 2.1 of the API specifications is scheduled for release on Tuesday 4 December. These specifications are currently being updated to align with the 2020 Element specifications and version 2.1 of the Data framework.
26 Nov 18: The Data element definitions for 2020 have been released. Both tracked changes and clean versions are available from TCSI Supporting documents.
24 Oct 18: The department's response, Outcomes from the Redevelopment and Audit of the Higher Education Data Collection Discussion Paper is now available. It provides an update on the TCSI project and outlines work undertaken by co‑design contributors.
5 Oct 18: Version 2.0 of the B2G API Specification has been finalised and is now available on request.
Opens in a new window: Read more
13 Sep 18: Version 2.0 of the TCSI Higher education & VSL data framework is now available from TCSI Supporting documents.
12 Sep 18: The updated TCSI co‑design contributor terms of reference are now available from How we're working with you.
What is Transforming the Collection of Student Information (TCSI)?
TCSI (pronounced 'taxi') is a joint project to transform how student information is collected.
Why we're doing it
The Department of Education & Training and the Department of Human Services (DHS) are working together with education providers to build a better solution.
The following graphic shows Benefits of the TCSI Project
For education providers it will: reduce duplication, be simpler and more intuitive to use, resolve system deficiencies and improve data availability. For students it will: Make DHS student claims simpler, improve payment accuracy and help maintain their student payment to complete their studies.
TCSI will provide solutions that will replace the Higher Education Provider Client Assistance Tool (HEPCAT) for all education providers and the Centrelink Academic Reassessment Transformation (CART) for universities.
TCSI Supporting documents
The latest version of the higher education & VSL data framework has been developed in consultation with providers at the TCSI Roadshows and with co-design contributors. Detailed coding notes have also been prepared to clarify any new or amended elements.
- Opens in a new window: Higher Education & VSL data framework v2.1 PDF (743kB) or Higher Education & VSL data framework v2.1 XLSX (21kB) (27 November 2018)
- DRAFT 2020 Data element specifications v1.0 PDF (2.3MB) or DRAFT 2020 Data element specifications v1.0 DOCX (316kB) (26 November 2018)
- DRAFT 2020 Data element specifications v1.0 - tracked changes PDF (2.6MB) or DRAFT 2020 Data element specifications v1.0 - tracked changes DOCX (441kB) (26 November 2018)
- Outcomes from the Redevelopment and Audit of the Higher Education Data Collection Discussion Paper
The original versions of documents and past presentations can be found in the TCSI Archives section at the bottom of this page.
How we're working with you
The Department of Education & Training and DHS held workshops in 2016 and 2017 to develop the business plan for a new data solution. These workshops invited feedback from co‑design contributors nominated by Universities Australia, ANUP, COPHE and ACTPET.
We released our discussion paper in January 2018 and received 60 responses.
Paper responses are being designed into the solution and are informing discussions on the data we collect.
The Department of Education & Training and DHS are working with our co‑design contributors to prepare advice and recommendations on:
- the purposes and uses of data and scope of the collection
- preferred methods and location of collection
- data governance, privacy and access issues
- resourcing and costs associated with the collection
- co‑ordination and interaction of existing data and related initiatives
Our cohort of co‑design contributors was expanded in March 2018 to include:
- Representatives from each group of universities, including the non‑affiliated universities
- 4 Oracle (Peoplesoft) providers, 4 Tribal Callista providers, 4 Technology One providers and 5 providers who develop their own solutions internally
- 5 non‑university providers
- 7 dual providers, including 4 TAFEs
How can I get involved?
You can keep up to date with proposed changes and discussions on this page. We will also keep you up to date with our regular newsletters. To sign up to our newsletters visit our eNews signup page.
- Opens in a new window: Proposed TCSI Data Change Map - PDF (607kB) or Proposed TCSI Data Change Map XLSX (24kB)
- Opens in a new window: Redevelopment and Audit of the Higher Education Data Collection PDF (612kB) or Redevelopment and Audit of the Higher Education Data Collection DOCX (678kB)
- Redevelopment and Audit of the VET Student Loans Data Collection
- Opens in a new window: TCSI Roadshow Presentation PDF (2.6MB) or Opens in a new window: TCSI Roadshow Presentation PPSX (3.3MB)
We recommend viewing this presentation in PowerPoint (PPSX) then clicking F5 so you can see the animations.
- Opens in a new window: TCSI Roadshow feedback - webinar presentation PDF (2.33MB) or TCSI Roadshow feedback - webinar presentation PPTX (3MB)
We recommend viewing this presentation in PowerPoint (PPTX) then clicking F5 so you can see the animations.
- Opens in a new window: TCSI Proposed Solution PDF (1.25MB) or Opens in a new window: TCSI Proposed Solution PPSX (1.84MB)
We recommend viewing this presentation in PowerPoint (PPSX) then clicking F5 so you can see the animations on the solution design.
If you require further information or assistance, please contact us.