On this page
What is Transforming the Collection of Student Information (TCSI)?
TCSI (pronounced 'taxi') is a joint project to transform how student information is collected.
Why we're doing it
The Department of Education & Training and the Department of Human Services (DHS) are working together with education providers to build a better solution.
The following graphic shows Benefits of the TCSI Project
For education providers it will:
- reduce duplication
- be simpler and more intuitive to use
- resolve system deficiencies
- Improve data availability
For students it will:
- Make DHS student claims simpler
- Improve payment accuracy
- Help maintain their student payment to complete their studies
TCSI will provide solutions that will replace the Higher Education Provider Client Assistance Tool (HEPCAT) for all education providers and the Centrelink Academic Reassessment Transformation (CART) for universities.
How we're working with you
The Department of Education & Training and DHS held workshops in 2016 and 2017 to develop the business plan for a new data solution. These workshops invited feedback from co‑design contributors nominated by Universities Australia, ANUP, COPHE and ACTPET.
We released our discussion paper in January 2018 and received 60 responses.
Paper responses are being designed into the solution and are informing discussions on the data we collect.
The Department of Education & Training and DHS are working with our co‑design contributors to prepare advice and recommendations on:
- the purposes and uses of data and scope of the collection
- preferred methods and location of collection
- data governance, privacy and access issues
- resourcing and costs associated with the collection
- co‑ordination and interaction of existing data and related initiatives
Our cohort of co‑design contributors was expanded in March 2018 to include:
- Representatives from each group of universities, including the non‑affiliated universities
- 4 Oracle (Peoplesoft) providers, 4 Tribal Callista providers, 4 Technology One providers and 5 providers who develop their own solutions internally
- 5 non‑university providers
- 7 dual providers, including 4 TAFEs
How can I get involved?
You can keep up to date with proposed changes and discussions on this page. We will also keep you up to date with our regular newsletters. To sign up to our newsletters visit our eNews signup page.
TCSI Supporting documents
- Opens in a new window: Redevelopment and Audit of the Higher Education Data Collection PDF (612kB) or Redevelopment and Audit of the Higher Education Data Collection DOCX (678kB)
- Redevelopment and Audit of the VET Student Loans Data Collection
- TCSI Working Group Terms of Reference PDF (356kB) or TCSI Working Group Terms of Reference DOCX (94kB)
- Opens in a new window: Proposed TCSI Data Change Map - PDF (607kB) or Proposed TCSI Data Change Map XLSX (24kB)
- Opens in a new window: TCSI Proposed Solution PDF (1.25MB) or Opens in a new window: TCSI Proposed Solution PPSX (1.84MB)
We recommend viewing this presentation in PowerPoint (PPSX) then clicking F5 so you can see the animations on the solution design.
TCSI Roadshow June 2018
Thank you to everyone who was able to attend the TCSI roadshows hosted by the Department of Education & Training and the Department of Human Services.
- Opens in a new window: TCSI Roadshow Presentation PDF (2.6MB) or Opens in a new window: TCSI Roadshow Presentation PPSX (3.3MB)
We recommend viewing this presentation in PowerPoint (PPSX) then clicking F5 so you can see the animations.
If you require further information or assistance, please contact us.