A code indicating a student's/applicant's citizenship and residence status
|Element name:||Citizen/resident indicator|
|1||Australian citizen (including Australian citizens with dual citizenship)|
|2||New Zealand citizen or a diplomatic or consular representative of New Zealand, a member of the staff of such a representative or the spouse or dependent relative of such a representative, excluding those with Australian citizenship. (Note: includes any such persons who have Permanent Resident status.)|
|8||Students/applicants with permanent humanitarian visa|
|3||Students/applicants with permanent visa other than permanent humanitarian visa|
|4||Student/applicant has a temporary entry permit or is a diplomat or a dependent of a diplomat (except New Zealand) and resides in Australia during the unit of study|
|5||Not one of the above categories and student/applicant is residing outside Australia during the unit of study/time of application|
- Australian students and students with permanent resident status in Australia, but studying off‑shore, should be coded as "1" or "3", respectively, and not coded "5".
- Overseas students:
- studying on‑shore should be coded "4"
- studying off‑shore should be coded "5"
- residing overseas should be coded "5"
- For the Course Completions data set, the code to be assigned for citizenship relates to the final year of attendance.
- Please note: Off‑shore does not mean "distance" or on‑line study.
- If your institution is unable to report citizenship data for a student, leave the field blank.
Provider Information Request:
- PIR Student (PSD)
- PIR Past Course Completions (PPS)
Details of all versions of this data element can be found on its supporting information page.
Return to top