This page sets out everything you need to know about reporting your PIR Student and Staff data.
Use the tabs below to navigate around this page and find out what to report and how to report it.
Before you start
Gaining access to HEIMS applications
There are two applications that you will use to report, check & certify your PIR data:
- HEIMS Online
All users must be registered and have their own log on ID and password to report data with HEPCAT and access the HEIMS Online. Please complete and return the form below.
- Opens in a new window: Provider Information Request access to HEIMS Online and HEPCAT (200kB) OR Provider Information Request access to HEIMS Online and HEPCAT DOCX (77kB)
HEIMS system requirements
This document provides an overview of the environmental requirements that your organisation will need to access HEIMS and submit data to the department. It includes information such as minimum hardware and operating system specifications, connectivity and applications required to use and connect to departmental systems.
- Opens in a new window: Environment Requirements to Access HEIMS PDF (112kB) OR Environment Requirements to Access HEIMS DOCX (37kB)
See the top PIR Frequently Asked Questions.
Reporting your data
How do you report?
PIR data is reported using the Higher Education Provider Client Assistance Tool (HEPCAT) which is a PC based application provided by the department. It helps you to prepare, validate and submit your data to HEIMS.
Please follow the Installing HEPCAT for the first time instructions if you have not yet installed HEPCAT.
If you have already installed HEPCAT previously and just need to update the application please follow these instructions to install this application update.
How to create a HEPCAT data file from an Excel spreadsheet
To import data into HEPCAT your data must be in a flat (or text) file format. If your data is in an Excel spreadsheet this guide explains how to convert the data in the spreadsheet to a flat file format that can then be imported directly into HEPCAT.
- Opens in a new window: PIR Collection - Microsoft Excel to Flat File Guide PDF or PIR Collection - Microsoft Excel to Flat File Guide DOCX
- PIR Microsoft Excel to Flat File Template XLSX
Note: All files will need to adhere to the applicable file naming formats i.e with NO .txt file extension.
Naming your files
HEPCAT will only allow you to import files that conform to the file naming convention for the submission type you have selected. This is explained in Section 7.3 of the HEPCAT User Guide.
The following document describes the naming format for files sent to the department through HEPCAT.
When do you report?
Student and staff data will be submitted through the department's Higher Education Information Management System (HEIMS) streamlining this data to a single collection. Consistent with the current PIR schedule, reporting will commence from 1 July 2018 with submission due by 31 August 2018.
What values do I report for the Reporting Year/Period (E415) for the 2018 PIR collection?
|File Type||Reporting Year/Period (E415)|
|PIR Course of Study||2017|
|PIR Half Year Load Estimates||2018|
|PIR Past Course Completions||2017|
|PIR Staff||Methods 1 & 2 – 2018|
Validating your data
For information relating to Validating your data see our webinar presentation.
- Opens in a new window: Webinar - PIR Validating your data PDF or Webinar - PIR Validating your data PPTX (presented Thursday 6 July & 3 August 2017)
HEPCAT Validations by file
Validations by number
Revising your data
Generally revisions to course of study data must be coordinated through the department.
A revision can only be made to course information where a particular code has been reported incorrectly through a genuine administrative error. For example, if an incorrect value was reported for any of the key elements they can be revised to reflect the correct information.
PIR data elements
PIR file scopes
PIR data is now certified using the HEIMS Online Verification process.
There are four simple steps in the Data Verification tab of Opens in a new window: HEIMS Online to verify your data:
Our HEIMS Online presentation contains information relating to checking and verifying your data
- Opens in a new window: Webinar - PIR HEIMS Online PDF or Webinar - PIR HEIMS Online PPTX (presented Monday 10 July & 8 August 2017)
Coding notes for the PIR collection are available to assist with reading your reports.
PIR training opportunities
New PIR training opportunities for 2018 coming soon!
We have completed our training sessions for 2017. Thank you to all that attended and provided feedback.
Our webinar presentations and talk notes are all provided below.
- Opens in a new window: Webinar - PIR Introduction to HEIMS PDF or Webinar - PIR Introduction to HEIMS PPTX (presented Tuesday 27 June 2017)
- Opens in a new window: Webinar - PIR Reporting with HEPCAT PDF or Webinar - PIR Reporting with HEPCAT PPTX (presented Tuesday 7 August 2018)
- Opens in a new window: Webinar - PIR Validating your data PDF or Webinar - PIR Validating your data PPTX (presented Tuesday 14 August 2018)
- Opens in a new window: Webinar - PIR HEIMS Online PDF or Webinar - PIR HEIMS Online PPTX (presented Tuesday 21 August 2018)
- Opens in a new window: Webinar - PIR Staff data PDF or Webinar - PIR Staff data PPTX (presented Thursday 13 July & 10 August 2017)
HEPCAT Basics - online training videos
HEPCAT basics is a four part online training package that explains how to install HEPCAT, create files and submit data. Each part is under 10 minutes to view.
Do you need a customised training session for your staff?
Do you have some particular training needs not covered in our standard sessions for your team? You can request an individual or customised training session at a time that suits you. These sessions provide you with an opportunity to work with our team to focus on specific challenges you are facing with reporting or particular topics where your staff are looking for more detailed information. We have face to face training available with our staff in Canberra or via a webinar ‑ whatever works best for you.
If you are interested in customised training please contact us.
Department of Education & Training
HEIMS Data Collections team
Telephone Helpline(02) 6240 7487
Email SupportHEIMS.datacollections [at] education.gov.au
If you have any questions on how to use the Opens in a new window: HELP IT system (HITS) please contact Tertiary Systems Enquiries at TSEnquiries [at] education.gov.au.
TEQSA's Information Management team can be contacted at collections [at] teqsa.gov.au.