The Application Details (AD) File comprises data records for applications for admission to a higher education undergraduate award course submitted through a Tertiary Admissions Centre (TAC) or directly to a Higher Education Provider (HEP).
The data reported in records in the AD File provides a “profile” of the applicant (e.g. date of birth, gender, home location).
Each application should have a single record in the AD File. However, the same individual may have multiple applications (e.g. through the same or multiple TACs or direct applications at other HEPs). HEPs need only submit data in respect to applications made directly to their institution where they have authorised applications made through a TAC to be submitted by that TAC.
The name and address details reported are those current as at the Reference Date (which may differ from those obtained at the date of submission of the application if updated by an applicant).
The secondary qualification details are included for the applicants’ principal Australian Year 12 qualifications if attempted within or outside Australia in the current year (i.e. in the year in which the most recent Australian school-leaver cohorts completed Year 12) as identified under Element 702 (Australian Year 12 result type).
Only one qualification is to be reported in cases where an application is made by an individual with more than one current Australian Year 12 qualification.
Data submissions are provided according to an agreed schedule negotiated between DEEWR, TACs and HEP representatives. Precise dates will be agreed to each year. This will take into account key dates in the processing cycles of TACs and HEPs.
Timing of these submissions is detailed in the Timing Matrix for the relevant reporting year which is available on the Data Requirements page.
Each record in the Application Details must have one or more records in the Preference Details and may have zero, one or several records in the Offer Details, identified by a concatenation of matched values for:
Element 700 (Application identification code); and
the Submitter code.
In recognition that there are variations in the administrative process of institutions, some fields are discretionary despite being of key interest to the Department. Discretionary elements should be reported unless data is not collected under current administrative processes. For mandatory elements, generic or ‘no information’ values should be submitted in exceptional cases only.
The structure documents detail the complete set of elements that are to be reported.
For data submissions through HEPCAT please refer to Application Details File – Structure document for the relevant reporting year on HEIMSHELP.
For data submissions via web services please refer to the Application and Offers Technical Specifications.
Records to be included
The AD should include one data record for each unique valid application as identified by Element 700 (Application identification code).
Valid applications are applications by domestic persons with at least one current preference for a Commonwealth supported place in a higher education undergraduate award course identified through Element 724 (Sector code) concatenated with Element 358 (Citizen/resident indicator) and Element 310 (Course of study type code).
Where an applicant has at least one valid application, their preferences in the following courses may also be reported:
- Bridging, enabling or non-award courses (Element 310 – Course of study type code)
- Postgraduate courses (Element 310 – Course of study type code)
- Domestic fee-paying undergraduate courses (Element 724 – Sector code)
- Courses offered in the VET sector (Element 724 – Sector code).
Applications containing preference(s) for course(s), for non-commencing students are considered valid if the application is processed through a TAC or if a direct application is made by an applicant who:
- Is transferring from another institution;
- Is transferring across courses in different narrow fields of education (ASCED Level II);
- Is transferring from a single to a double degree; or
- Has deferred starting their course or is required to re-register following a period of lapsed enrolment.
Applications unable to be processed on procedural grounds may be included in the data collection where:
- The fees and charges have not been paid; or
- The applicant has not signed nor indicated acknowledgement of the declaration; or
- The application has missing or insufficient documentation.
Data records are not included for applications that:
- Are submitted by international (overseas full fee-paying) applicants (Element 358 - Citizen/resident indicator);
- Are received from persons whose citizenship/residency status is unknown at the time of application (Element 358 - Citizen/resident indicator);
- Have no valid preferences on this application (even if the applicant has earlier received an offer in a Commonwealth supported place in a higher education undergraduate award course which is no longer listed as a preference);
- Contain preference(s) for course(s) only for intakes subsequent to the intake for the commencing period nearest the Reference Date;
- Have been cancelled by an institution as duplicates or because the applicant is known to be deceased or has falsified documentation or for other administrative reasons;
- Are prospective applications or expressions of interest from persons who have not (yet) formally lodged or submitted an application; or
- Are registrations for non-commencing students following periods of lapsed enrolment, leave of absence or deferment where students are not required to submit an application in order to register.