A code, allocated by DEEWR, which uniquely identifies the student within the Higher Education or VET Sector and remains constant from year to year
|Element name:||Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN)|
|Units:||Code (Numeric), left justified, with trailing blanks if needed|
|ZZZZZZZZZZ||No CHESSN required|
|Any data||Code assigned by HEIMS|
A student may make a number of separate course enrolments at a Higher Education/VET Provider (Provider) in the one year or over a number of years, and the CHESSN must be constant across courses and over time.
Where a student returns to a Provider to resume a course or to undertake a new course, the CHESSN must be the same as that used at the time of the student’s first enrolment at a Provider after 31 December 2004.
The CHESSN will only be used to allow eligibility to Commonwealth support to be facilitated and monitored.
Please refer to the Glossary for further information about terminology used in this document.
Higher Education Student:
- Commonwealth Scholarship (CS)
- Unit of Study Completions (CU)
- Student Enrolment (EN)
- Student Load/Liability (LL)
- Revised Student Load/Liability (RL)
- OS-HELP (OS)
- Revisions File (SR)
- Past Course Completions (PS)
- Commonwealth Assisted Student (DU)
- Commonwealth Assisted Student (VDU)
- Student Enrolment (VEN)
- Unit of Study Completions (VCU)
- Student Load/Liability (VLL)
- Revised Student Load/Liability (VRL)
- Revisions File (VSR)
- VET Course Completions (VCC)
Details of all versions of this data element can be found on its supporting information page.